” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>Click here to watch video “Over 40 transformation workout – MELT FAT AWAY”
I am sure you have heard before that diet determines 80% of your fitness/bodybuilding success?
Although this is very difficult to proof from a scientific point of view, me and many other fitness professionals stand rock solid behind this statement.
Simply because we KNOW that nothing comes close to get you to bodybuilding success. Not even the training itself, not close (although diet + training are both crucial).
Now, if the diet determines such a big chunk of your success then surely you have to give it 80% of your time and effort in your quest for a great looking body? And this is where 90% of the folk out there fails. They give like 10%-15% effort to the diet. This is the no.1 reason guys are not reaching success in transforming their bodies.
This article will look at the diet structure and process that needs to be applied for a bodybuilding cutting diet and how to force it to deliver the results you require.
This is the process many competing athletes use and rarely you will find this information being shared freely! So, listen up!
Keys areas to be discussed
- Defining an effective fat loss diet template
- How to align that diet for your body
- “Sweet spot” 14-day diet adjustment to force goals.
- How IF can be incorporated.
- How to change this diet to KETO, PALEO, VEGTARIAN, VEGAN, KETOGENIC or MEDITERRANEAN structures and still force success.
- Carb Cycling for the hardcore.
1 DEFINING THE DIET TEMPLATE
To kick off, let’s define a typical starting point.
The structure is roughly 40/30/30 in macros (protein/fat/carbs), which is generally accepted as a very good bodybuilding nutritional approach. Although the 40/30/30 split is generally accepted as the best bodybuilding approach don’t assume it as the holy grail. Just to give you an idea I am following a 20/60/30 split due to my kidneys only functioning 50% since age 40 (the whole reason for my healthy living).
The first 14 days, you start with the ‘guestimate’ daily caloric meal plan. Note: IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU PREPARE THE FOOD THE PREVIOUS EVENING AND PUT IT IN FRIDGE IN READY-TO-USE CONTAINERS FOR NEXT DAY – not doing this will increase your risk of diverting from diet drastically.
MEAL PLAN - template
MEAL ONE Cal: 521 / Protein: 37g / Carbs: 44g / Fat: 23g]
- Filter Coffee – 1 cup
- Milk 2% low fat – 0.25 cup
- Blackberries – 1 cup
- Omega 3 capsules – 4 capsules [Click here to buy my preferred choice on AMAZON]
- Oats (uncooked weight) – 40g
- Almond flakes – 15g
- Whey protein powder – 1.5 scoops [Click here to buy my preferred choice on AMAZON]
MEAL TWO [Cal: 482 / Protein: 47g / Carbs: 48g / Fat: 11g
- Oats (Dry weight) – 60g
- Whey protein powder – 2 scoops [Click here to buy my preferred choice on AMAZON]
- Milk 2% low-fat – 0.25cups
MEAL THREE [Cal: 402 / Protein: 40g / Carbs: 25g / Fat: 13g]
- Bread, Low-GI – 2 slices
- Chicken Breast skinned – 100g
- Mayonnaise Light – 1 tablespoon
MEAL FOUR [Cal: 441 / Protein: 47g / Carbs: 35g / Fat: 11g]
- Tuna canned in water/brine – 150g
- Mixed vegetables – 2cups
- Mayonnaise light – 1 tablespoon
- Potato boiled – 1 medium
MEAL FIVE (Cal: 393 / Protein: 36g / Carbs: 31g / Fat: 16g)
- Peanut Butter (Sugar Free, Organic) 1.5 tablespoons
- Apple raw medium, 1
- Whey Protein Powder 2 scoops
MEAL SIX (Cal: 516 / Protein: 65g / Carbs: 28g / Fat: 14g)
- Beef Fillet 200g
- Rice brown long grain 1 cup
- Mixed salad 1 cup
MEAL SEVEN (Cal: 284 / Protein: 31g / Carbs: 12g / Fat: 15g)
- Beef Jerky / Biltong / Dried beef bites 50g
- Peanut Butter (Sugar Free Organic) 1.5 tablespoons
[DAILY TOTALS – Cal: 3039 / Protein: 303g / Carbs: 223g / Fat: 104g / Sodium: 2017mg]
Important notes on the diet
Do you HAVE to eat 7 meals? No, you don’t. What IS important is that you stick strictly to the daily calories. If you stay within this guideline you can even squeeze all your daily meals into even 1 meal. But I, for one, find it much more effective following a small regular meal system. It keeps insulin levels steady and help prevents hunger pains. And although many will cry “bro-science” I actually believe the small regular meal system helps getting a flatter tummy and midsection (many nutritionist agree with me on this one).
2. Aligning the diet for your body.
The above diet template is just for the first 14 days. After 14 days you need to go through a process to see how your body has reacted to the amount of daily calories. For this alignment process you use a weighing scale plus body fat caliper (measuring tape optional). The body fat caliper must be used to take body fat measurements at specific key areas on your body – have a look here: https://gertlouw.com/food-breakdown/
You then interpret the calliper and weighing scale measurements to determine what happen to body fat and muscle.
- If at all you lost muscle then the daily calories must be increased with 10% (never more than 10% in a 14 day period).
- If you gained muscle and fat then decrease the daily calories with 10%.
- This is done every 14 days to force the diet to produce the results you want.
- The key during cutting is getting to a level where you lose fat but not muscle. So even if you have to make increments/decrements smaller than 10%, so be it. Do whatever you have to do to get to your goals.
This is where you can buy the body monitoring tools – SUPPLEMENTS ORDER
3. “Sweet spot” 14-day adjustment.
Don’t think you can stop doing this 14-day process once you reached the “sweet spot” (loosing fat but not muscle). The body is constantly changing, and this is a process that must be done every 14 days diligently. This in the end is what separates the men from the boys. Those that are prepared to do the effort are the ones that will reap the benefits.
4. Incorporating IF (Intermittent Fasting)
I personally am no fan of IF and prefer regular small meals. But some guys find it easier to follow a fasting structure. Plus, there are other health benefits from IF as well (like increased testosterone levels). The key is that you stick to your daily calories and you still MUST do the same 14-day “sweet spot” adjustment process, nothing changes. It is as easy as that!
5. How to change this diet to KETO, PALEO, VEGETARIAN, VEGAN, KETOGENIC or MEDITERRANEAN structures and still force success.
There are a few apps out there that is making diet manipulation very easy. The one I came across that seems to be very functional in this regard, is: https://www.eatthismuch.com/
(Please note, I got no affiliation with them and definitely do not get any kickback from them! If you find similar apps please leave a comment on the article/video to inform people.)
Through above app you can automatically work out your daily menu plan for KETO, PALEO, VEGTARIAN, VEGAN, KETOGENIC or MEDITERRANEAN structures simply by making the diet choice and then punch in the daily amount of calories. The app will then work out complete day menus within the daily caloric constraint for the desired diet. The key here is the daily calories. And to manipulate that calories for these diets you would still go through the exact “Sweet spot” 14-day adjustment process. This process is KEY in making a diet work…no matter what diet.
6. Carb Cycling for the hardcore.
This is NOT for the faint hearted. But for those that can take the punch, this is what many hardcore athletes do to take that “grey” fat off (typically “love handles”). The fat that just do NOT want to budge with a regular diet. However, this is only short-term approach until you have reached your goal and then you need to go back onto the regular diet. Here is a link to my site where I have discuss Carb Cycling in more detail: https://gertlouw.com/2015/06/09/carb-cycling-explained/
So, there you have it guys and girls. The complete professional athlete diet approach to force results. This info is hard to come by and people charge an arm and leg for this stuff. I am trying to keep it free. Please help me making small donation to my site so I can keep my info free to all. My PayPal link for donations: https://paypal.me/GERTFITNESS
Please make a small donation to keep site free.
Please help me keeping the site on air and free. Through many of the life uplifting posts I have helped many people facing and overcoming dark moments in their life. By sponsoring this site you help them too!
1. Those that wanna sign up to my coaching system for the older guy which incorporates all my teachings: ADVANCED SYSTEM II: https://gertlouw.com/my-transformation-secrets/
2. Here is my preferred supplements and where to get it. SUPPLEMENTS ORDER page: https://gertlouw.com/supplements-order/
3. Keep an eye open for discounts on the SUPPLEMENTS ORDER page. Especially the home testing TESTOSTERONE KIT has large discount. This home testing KIT an incredible new development that puts the power of managing your testosterone levels back in YOUR hands and not the doctors. CLICK HERE TO ORDER: https://trylgc.com/gert (use 20% discount code “GERT20”)
Wish you all happy training