As the years progressed, I have evolved my training regimen from my original transformation program (http://gertlouw.com/my-transformation-program/) to be more focused and more goal oriented in nature.
In this video I discussed the routine I am currently applying for bicep and tricep growth when I am on my 3-month cutting phase.
Cutting phase implies the process of bringing bodyfat down to enhance the muscled ripped look while keeping muscle size or even slightly increasing it.
In short, the arm routine for the cutting phase involves performing two huge super sets: Super Set One and Super Set Two.
SUPER SET ONE
- Super Set One consists of a bicep exercise (20 reps) + tricep exercise (20 reps) +bicep exercise (20 reps) performed back to back with no resting in between.
- When you completed above set for Super Set One, rest for 3 minutes and repeat Super Set One for a total of three times.
- SLOW (!) and very CONTROLLED (!) movements during every rep.
- Visualize the target muscle during each rep in your head and get a very focused “mind muscle” connection. Feel only the target muscle work to perform the movement.
- During all triceps and bicep exercises, keep the elbows as stationary as possible to make sure that only the bicep do the lifting. The more you move the elbows the more involved the shoulders (and to lesser extend pecs and back) become to lift the weight.
- Use full range of motion for exercises, meaning widest possible angle to make sure that the whole bicep/tricep muscle gets a workout.
- You MUST (!) fail with each exercise on the 20th (last) rep of each set. [very important – key principle for growth]
When finished with 3 x Super Set One, stretch for 5 minutes to relax muscles (perform various stretching exercises involving the biceps, triceps and shoulders).
This not only help the muscle recover better but also enhances blood flow plus it helps keeping the veins more elastic and prevent hardening of arteries to and extent. It is also believed to be an important factor in obtaining aesthetic looking muscles.
SUPER SET TWO (the same as above with the following differences)
- Perform 3 different exercises (biceps + triceps +biceps) than those you did in Super Set One.
- When finished with 3 x Super Set TWO, stretch for 5 minutes to relax muscles (perform various stretching exercises involving the biceps, triceps and shoulders).
End of your routine with 15-20 minutes of moderate cardio.
Be wary of too much cardio. Cardio is a muscle size killer. You cannot expect to have big muscle size and do a lot of cardio. The two goes against each other.
If you have body fat you want to get rid of you should do that via fine tuning your diet and not through excessive cardio.
Before training (stick to basics don’t waste your money on fancy stuff!):
- 45 minutes before training 8 tablets BCAA’s (prevent a catabolic state during training)
- 45 minutes before training 5g L-Glutamine
- Immediately after training eat 1 apple or banana.
- Immediately after the apple/banana drink a serving fast absorption whey protein.
- 1-2 hours after training eat a small fat-free meal containing a decent protein serving.
Any questions, please feel free to contact me.